Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cape Fear Botanical Garden

Children's Garden

I finally decided that we are far enough into spring, that the local botanical garden might actually be a good option for an afternoon of spring flowers. Although the Cape Fear Botanical Garden was nowhere near the nicest botanical garden I've ever viewed, it was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. I think the thing that most surprised me about this garden was how little "formal" garden area it contained. When I think of botanical gardens, I typically picture small segments devoted to different varieties of plants (roses, water lilies, cactus, etc.) The Cape Fear Botanical Garden was much more "natural" than the average botanical garden; it was almost more of a park/forest than what I normally think of as a botanical garden.

Cape Fear River

The highlight of the garden for me was the Cape Fear River Loop. The garden had a small trail that wrapped through the forest and passed along the Cape Fear River. This is actually what I had hoped for when I first walked the Cape Fear River Trail many months ago. The Cape Fear River Loop provided a secluded little walk through nature - with a symphony of birds in the background.

North Carolina Heritage Garden

After walking the garden's exterior, I returned to the more traditional gardens. While I did enjoy the Camellia garden, the others were a little lacking. The Heritage Garden did have a great collection of historic (or historic-looking) buildings. Although it was a great little "town", I wish I could have toured the interiors.

No comments:

Post a Comment